January 16, 2012

Honeymooners 3: Cambodia


Here we are, at Part 3 of the honeymoon! Cambodia, more specifically, Siem Reap. This was our favorite country on the Whirlwind Honeymoon Misadventure. Initially, I had my reservations about coming here--I viewed our honeymoon as a chance for us to go to some fabulous locale and get pampered in a five-star hotel. I wasn't interested in visiting, but luckily let Brett have his way.

Cambodia is not a rich country. The incredibly devastating and frightening reign of the Khmer Rouge ended just a dozen years ago. But in spite of this--or possibly because of this--the people in Cambodia are the happiest and friendliest people I have ever met. It's possible they understand the value of peace and life far more than I do. Possibly...likely...um, almost a certainty. Where I value the importance of shoes and frilly dresses, they're happy their families are safe and fed.

We loved Cambodia; it was definitely the most spiritual and serene part of our trip, which I loved. I wasn't expecting to be so moved by it, but I left feeling like a different person and we look forward to returning someday!

In our room. The mosquito netting was just for show--although malaria and dengue fever are still plaguing Cambodia, the hotel premises had a lot of precautions

I look pregnant here, but I'm not :)

Our first sunset in Siem Reap! These streets are cray

Everything was in English, thank goodness

This boy had to lift the wires to get the truck through. So dangerous

Ohmigosh, I'm a sexy beast


Pub crawling :)

Clever play on words

I couldn't use my cell phone (roaming charges would have left us bankrupt) but I'm taking pictures for later :)

Our hotel would leave us Cambodian folklore as bedtime stories. They were really good!

We saw a LOT of temples. Here's a little map to give a little background info as to how many there are:
[via]
And while we didn't go to all of them, we sure did see a lot!

Angkor Wat at sunrise. Brett took about 37 of these and I don't know which one he likes the best, so I just picked this one

Look at all dem tourists!


The temple tops matches his hair

Outfit explanation: it was super cold in the morning and I wanted to wear my tennies so the only clothes that would work with all that was my workout gear! LOL! Uunh. You can judge me if you want. I do.


Angkor Wat is about 900 years old

Brett had this camera the whole trip, can you tell? 







I like this one. Good job, Husband!




Um, it was actually way steep and the steps were like four inches wide so... I was a little reluctant.


These monkeys were soooo cute!


I was obsessed with the algae. I wonder what kinds of microorganisms I would find if I took a sample of this moat!

Most of the heads were stolen during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.



It's a gateway to more temples

Pigs off to the butcher. They're still alive!

I believe this one is Angkor Thom


Brett getting all artsy fartsy

I can be artsy too!





I want to say this was the Phimeanakas temple...?


That's a fisherman




We didn't do the elephant thing

So this is a "foot massage" where they have little fish eat crap off your feet. There was one on every corner and they all promised "NO PIRANHA!" Hahahaahah! I really wanted Brett to do it, but he declined.

This little guy was street security... but he was like 90 pounds. And twelve years old. What would happen to him if a real bar brawl broke out?


Ohmigosh, I fell in love with this little one! She was way too cute! It's sad she has to sell roses and bracelets alone at night :(

Aw! I wanted to take her home with me! My own Maddox Jolie-Pitt.

Speaking of Angelina, this is where they filmed Tomb Raider, the Ta Prohm temple.


It is so crazy beautiful in this jungly temple!


Trees growing on rocks


Isn't that amazing?

This is at our last temple, Prasat Kravan (I think), one of the oldest


We could see Angkor Wat from here!

The steps were steep so I'm climbing down backwards...this is the face I make when Brett teases me

This is the dance I make when I'm ready to move on to the next!

Powered by a lawn mower

Powered by oxen

Men fishing, everywhere

That can't be safe

Artisan carving sandstone, like what all the temples are made from

My happy gorgeous hubby

New silk scarf!

This little girl wanted to join the band

So pretty!


On our way to the floating villages! During the flooding last year, a lot of rice crops were destroyed, but are now starting to grow back

On Tonle Sap (lake)

Our tuk-tuk driver is also a bird-watching guide. If you're ever in Cambodia, LMK and I'll give you his information. Thi definitely made our trip so much better.


Coming up on the first village

The floating school


All the floating houses and community buildings

Floating pig sty

Floating (and mobile) convenience store

Women making fish paste

This is the wet season--during the dry season the lake shrinks dramatically and all the houses have to crowd together

Boat taking them from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Alligators to sell to manufacturers in Thailand

Our private yacht

Fishing


Super friendly and adorable kids


On our way back to Siem Reap, more fishing


This is like Stand By Me

Super relaxed and amazingly happy



Little boys jumping into the water

Monk on a moped

Thi, Brett, and I on our way out to dinner!

Thi took us to a local spot for "real Cambodian food," and bonus: this teenage punk band performed for us!

Steamed fish, morning glory (a stalky veggie), steak... it was sooo good!

That's it! We still have one more stop, Thailand! And where Cambodia was spiritual and serene, Thailand was debaucherous and crazy! Not too much so... you'll see :)

I do want to add that Home, by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros has been a part of the B + E soundtrack for a long time (remember this?) but now, I truly feel like it matches our ♥ story!


I follow you into the park,
through the jungle, through the dark
Girl, I've never loved one like you
Moats and boats and waterfalls
Alleyways and pay phone calls
I've been everywhere with you
That's true!

And it really is! I truly came home feeling so in love with life and feeling extremely lucky in love ♥
I love you, Brett :)
And you too, readers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover