October 23, 2012

Halloween Costumes of Yore

[via]
It's almost Halloween--do you have your costume yet? Hubby and I were going to be Wilfred and Bear but (a) we have no where to go (sad!) and (b) no one knows who Wilfred and Bear are. Booooo.

So, for now, we don't have costumes to wear when we pass out candy to the neighborhood kiddies. It's okay--we'll think of something last minute I'm sure. 

My Momma was sweet enough to dig up these old pics of costumes that she sewed for us as kids. That's right people, these are hand-made with love. So much love. Aren't they the best? These days all we see are fifty dollar polyester and plastic mass-produced costumes, so it's refreshing to remember a simpler time. 

I need to learn how to sew so I can make our future Shoe babies' costumes :)

 Princess Leia and Hello Kitty 

Strawberry Shortcake (this is actually a hand-me-down; Kristin was Strawberry Shortcake and I was Apple Dumpling a few years before, but Mom couldn't find that pic)

 Well, Kris is a bunny and I'm a...birthday princess fairy. Guess who designed her own costume that year?!

 Snow White. Mom even styled a faux-bob hairdo. Very ahead of her time ;) I'm still impressed.

So tell me, my pumpkins, did you make your own costumes when you were younger? Better yet, do you STILL make your own costumes? Those are always the winners of Best Costume contests, for sure.

Because our class has a gajillion exams this week, I have to keep this short. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!


2 comments:

  1. Oh that is SO awesome that you have those old Halloween pics! And amazing costumes made by your mom! ;) I had a lot of costumes my mom "invented" and quite a few handmade lovingly by my grandma. I wish I had some of those costumes saved or at least pictures of them!

    xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking through old pictures like these always bring back lots of fond memories which we hoped would have lasted a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover