May 23, 2013

Babymoon Part II: Venice and Cinque Terre


Here we go: Part II! I personally LOVE Venice. I know there are a lot of people that don't care for it: it's in decay, it's sinking, no one lives there anymore, it's like an expensive Disneyland for adults, yadda yadda yadda. I don't care. I love it anyway! It's sooooo romantic and beautiful! I think the state of disarray adds to its charm. I've never ridden a gondola, and they are ungodly overpriced, but what's better than hearing an accordion and a live opera tenor when one happens to float by in a deserted alleyway? It's such a magical place!

When I was a little girl, I was sick a lot and was convinced I was dying (a little melodrama, anyone?) so I made my mother promise me that she'd take me to Venice before I died. Needless to say, this little drama queen survived her bouts of allergies and sinus/head issues but Momma did manage to take her daughters to Venice when we were in our early 20s. Instant love.

Unfortunately, Brett is one of those (cynical) people that think Venice is "meh." Whatevs. I still love. Watch one of my fave movies for more Venice. Now, pics!










By our second afternoon there, we decided to explore the other islands, which had led us to the greatest pizzeria hole-in-the-wall place. Might be one of my fave meals! This is us chilling on a sidewalk afterwards looking back at Venice.






From there, we took four trains (or was it five?) to Cinque Terre, a series of five little cliff-side beach towns on western Italy. A series of hiking trails and trains connect them, so we got lots of exercise, saw the best views, and all the pretty towns! This was our least "city" destination and more relaxing than the others.

Also, in case you were wondering, the weather was sort of all over the place during our whole vacation. Most of the time it was in the low 70s and partly cloudy. We had some rainy and/or cold days and some uber-hot days, but mostly it was nice and mild which worked well for as much walking as we did.




Two little boys playing in their boat, so cute!

Feeding fish



Brett put up a long fight and didn't want any gelato for the longest time. Then, one night he sampled some of my chocolate and caved. It is so darn good!





You can't tell, but I'm in a field of wildflowers (yay!) and BEES (ohmigod get them away now!) so I'm really freaking out here. I hate bees.






This hike took us about three hours...a little longer than we gauged. But it was fun :)

We are so classy


My bump was unpredictable. It has a mind of its own.







Up next: Florence and Rome, the last two cities. I must confess that we were both a bit tired by that time and the pics slow down. LOL. Looking back at our Madrid/Toledo and Barcelona pics makes me laugh; we had so much more energy then! 

I'm off to run some final errands before I leave tomorrow.

Long weekend! I hope you kick up your feet and spend it relaxing with your loved ones!


1 comment:

  1. I loooved Venice! Except for those annoying street vendors...but wow did my feet hurt after a few days. Looks like a perfect vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover